Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Project #2: How to Skateboard

 Though it may not be for everyone, those who want to learn how to skateboard sometimes find it difficult to perform the basics needed to advance in trick ability. Being one of my favorite time killers, I've noticed that there are a wide range of teaching styles on how to perform certain maneuvers on a skateboard. For me I've found it easier to learn by skating with friends and having them demonstrate the trick, and then critique me while attempting the particular trick. In most cases coordinating friends and allotting time may be hard to do if you're an older skater, or you're the only kid on your block with this interest. The three text that I'm using for my project are:

1. Skater Aron L.'s  Youtube channel, which has a variety of videos consisting of various tricks, which he breaks down into easy to follow steps. 
2. Another text is located on about.com called how to skate. This has both visual/auditory, as well as textual text. 
3. How2skate is another text I will be referencing to in creating my page on how to skate. 

  What all three text have in common are demonstrations using visual, gestural, and spatial text modes. These modes are key in this instance because skateboarding is a visual gestural sport, and having these to modes is essential. Though the How2skate demonstrations lack in aural mode, which makes deciphering what is being done to perform the trick difficult. My favorite text-mode would be Aron L.'s(which I've referenced to plenty of times) because not only does he perform the trick, he explains aural gestures, as well as gestures placement of feet and what to do in order to perform the trick in the visual tutorial.  About.com's how to skate page had a visual text and still image portion which I found semi-useful in the sense that it's sometimes difficult to transition words to action, and the still image doesn't really help to visually explain the instruction. 

3 comments:

  1. I think you have a great start to your project, you have three websites to start your analysis on which is awesome.Your plan seems well thought out and I like that you aren't only using sites with video. Are you going to stick with sites for beginners on how to skate? Or are you also going to include sites for more advanced skaters for more difficult tricks and techniques? It may be interesting to analyze both and see how they are similar and different.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea for a project! (and it's nice to know somebody in Pullman actually skateboards, as opposed to the longboarders who nearly run me over daily. i'm old and crochety, but not about skateboarders)

    Anyhow...looks like you're on point here, but do remember to find ways to integrate both the rhetorical situation and the terminology from the IX tutorials. You don't have to hit every term, but some of it should find it's way into your analysis.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like this idea, seems very doable. I know when I was younger I had a skateboard that I tried learning how to ride and I definitely struggled with it. Seeing a video or a website of how-to probably would have helped.

    ReplyDelete